Ways in which today was successful:
- I spent all afternoon hiking
- I remembered to put sunscreen on my face and neck before leaving
- I climbed a rock face that was probably a little too steep for me to do this safely.
- I managed said climb without injury.
- I completed about 3/4 of my intended route
- I made some Russian friends! They were having a barbecue up on the mountain, and when I walked by, they invited me to join them at their table for food and “maybe a little vodka” (ha). So I hung out with them for an hour or two. They taught me the Russian words for please, thank you, hot, cold, and dance, effectively doubling my Russian vocabulary.
Ways in which today was not so successful:
- I neglected to bring more sunscreen with me
- Even though I spent five hours up in the mountains, I never managed to make it out of earshot of other people. Sound carries really really well over the steppes, and apparently Saturday afternoon is when everyone heads for the mountains.
- I had wanted to find a quiet spot in the forest to write for a while. But since no quiet spot was to be found, no writing was done either.
- I still haven’t found a way to listen to .wma/.odm files on my mac
- I’m going to be late to join the other Americans at a bar across town.
Overall, I’d say today was pretty good.